Sunday, September 20, 2015

Georgia's Coastal Gems

St Mary's GA - September 19, 2015
I'm spoiled.  I admit it. No shame. Packing for a hotel trip was not fun.  I've grown accustomed to packing just a few clothing items to replenish the camper each trip; for this weekends' hotel trip to Jekyll Island I had to remember to pack the deodorant, toothpaste, bicycle helmet . . . you get the picture.  I forgot tennis shoes, beach towels, sunscreen. The well-stocked SolAire is mighty convenient!

Despite the "inconvenience" of packing and driving separately (the Chief attended a conference most of the week), the trip was worth the effort.  Island life is so pleasant this time of year - cooler temps, a breeze, and great entertainment.  The annual Shrimp & Grits Festival brought life to the historic district with bands, artisans, and plenty of food. Someone oversold the parking, so our Trooper buddy told us.  I've never seen bumper to bumper traffic on Jekyll like I did morning, afternoon and evening yesterday. Glad we had our bicycles!
Bumper to bumper traffic in the roundabout on Jekyll Island
Friday evening we wandered down to the festival grounds to grab some dinner and catch the band's last set.  The last rain shower of the week had soaked the island just prior to my arrival, so the puddles were full and the grass a bit soggy.  We followed that with a nighttime walk on the beach; the tide was coming in and the strong breeze blowing was a tad cool.  

We awoke early in hopes of witnessing a beautiful sunrise.  Clouds threatened to derail the plan. What I photographed was gorgeous, even if it wasn't a fireball.  Sunday's sunrise was more like what I was expecting, and I was thrilled to capture the rays.
Sunrise - Jekyll Island, GA - Saturday, September 19, 2015
Morning twilight - Jekyll Island, GA - Sunday, September 20, 2015
This fella stopped to pose for his portrait.
  While the Chief finished his business at the convention center Saturday morning, I checked out the new shops in the recently completed village.  If you haven't been to Jekyll recently, you need to plan a trip.  Much progress has been made in the last few years; a new convention center, shopping village, new and restored motels & hotels.  The historic district has been restored, too.
Sidney Lanier Bridge
Browsing became buying when I discovered Caroline's.  She had some things I've been contemplating buying for a while, so ....  Now I have that Nantucket basket for my bicycle - deep enough & strong enough to hold my camera and some Amazing Grace wind chimes for the SolAire (almost got the Big Ben, too, but couldn't justify two sets in one day).
Fun morning of shopping at Caroline's in the village on Jekyll Island.
I also picked up a pair of FitKicks; not sure if I'm far behind on fashion or on the cutting edge - these were new to me. Quite honestly, they're ugly, but the package showed all the things you can do in them - like bike riding.  I had forgotten to pack my tennis shoes and I knew that we would ride bikes to the festival after lunch and I didn't want to walk the festival in my bicycle clips, so this was a perfectly necessary purchase.  They are comfortable; I've had them on ever since.  Like wearing Spandex socks with a plastic sole.
Evening twilight at St. Mary's, GA - Saturday, September 19, 2015
We headed off the island Saturday evening in search of a new adventure.  We discovered music in the park in St. Mary's and a picturesque sunset.  We returned by way of the Kings' Bay Naval Base, my chauffeur hoping to show me the submarine at the base's entrance.  No lights!  Left us wondering whether the lights were in need of repair or the government is saving a few dollars on electricity.
Hoda Kodbe & Jenna Bush Hager announced on Labor Day that one sunset picture is all you should post on Facebook - more is overkill, but I figure anyone who's read this far doesn't mind how many sunset photos I post, so I've loaded up some of my best shots from the weekend.  Enjoy!
Sunrise - Jekyll Island, GA - Sunday, September 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!